Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The waiting is OVER!

Remember when I wrote the post about waiting... and waiting and waiting? Well, the waiting ended last Tuesday, so it's high time I blogged about it! Ginger had her little puppies last Tuesday. It couldn't have been more convenient timing, either. I had just put the kids down for their afternoon nap when she came and "told" me that it was time for her to go upstairs to her box! So, I got to watch and help her through the whole thing!!!

It lasted maybe a little over an hour, but she sure did work for the first one! He came out back feet first and needed "assistance" leaving his home of 2 months! He is all white and weighed 4.8oz/135grams! The girls are calling him "Nathan". (No... I don't know... don't ask me... nope... I'm in complete denial that he's named after a boy they used to go to school with.)

The second puppy came about 15 minutes later and although he was considerably smaller, he was much more vigorous and took less stimulation to get all "frisky". He was 3.6oz/ 101grams shortly after birth. He is mostly white with some black spots! Sooo adorable, as you'll see from the pictures below! The girls are calling him "Franky". (No... I don't know... don't ask me... nope... I'm in complete denial that he's named after a "nice boy" that they used to go to school with.)

So now, they are one week old. Nathan is a champ and is gaining a good ounce per day (on most days). He now weighs 9.8 ounces/278 grams. Franky is also gaining VERY well!!! He is now up to 7.6 ounces and 216 grams!

Ginger is a VERY attentive mama dog and is taking VERY good care of them. She will let Tucker (dad) be in the same room, however if he traipses too close, she is quick to put him in his place! She will also chase and bark and growl at the cats if they even *think* about stepping a foot across the threshold of the front door... Gingi just doesn't care how hungry they are or how long it's been since the girls have fed them! As you can see from the pictures, she is also mellow with the girls around the puppies. The first couple of days she DID NOT want ANYONE to touch them... NOT EVEN ME. I'd reach down to pet one of them and all of a sudden her head would magically appear under my hand. So I'd try another avenue, but she blocked me then, too! I'm not gonna lie. I went up to my room and cried. Ok, maybe not, but I was a little "put off" by her selfish behavior! ;o)

So, it's a week, and they're cute and getting chunky!!! They were SOOO tiny and fragile at birth... it's nice to see them putting on weight! Ok, here ya go... the pics!

Ok, they're backwards. They start with tonight at one week of age!







Emma kissing "Franky" a couple of days ago.

Brooklyn holding "Franky" the other day

Brenna & "Nathan"

This was tonight...




This was their "birth" day


2 comments:

BHRMAMA said...

Yay! for puppies! so much fun!! The girls look like they LOVE them!!!

Jennifer said...

Brooke those babies are soooo cute! Makes me want another dog.